Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

text to column non-deliminated

becki
8 - Asteroid

i have two data sources and i need to compare a very large (150 characters in one, 160 characters in the other) field.  This field is non-delimited but i have a listing of "of this field, the first 3 characters stands for body type, next 1 character is engine type, etc..".  the problem is, a lot of them are 1 character fields and I was hoping to not have to specify 100 regex parts.  Is it possible to break a field, 1 character at a type, without delimiters (and i can visually group the fields which need to be grouped)?

thanks

becki kain

8 REPLIES 8
GiuseppeC
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @becki,

it would be easier if you could post some sample of the data you want to compare/parse and the listing (suppose it could be used as a look up table somehow?).

Giuseppe

becki
8 - Asteroid

it's a VO Image:

1FTYE1CM5HKB45608 E1CHK130 C 3 AG2 01FM083 VE G 5E673 C81D 1 BX C HF 316A218 L2 YZ VK GB M1FTY5A8 101A 9M6DE

but the spacing is significant, like i can't just take all the spaces inside the string.  columns 1-3 mean something, column 4 is something else, etc...

mmenth
11 - Bolide

If your goal is to just split the string by each character, I suggest splitting it to rows using the Regex tool. If you use the regular expression "." this will split any character into a new row.

Capture.PNG

Best,

mmenth

GiuseppeC
Alteryx
Alteryx

@becki, can you also post what you'd like the output to be?

becki
8 - Asteroid

I'm trying to compare VO images to see what the differences are, from the two data sources.

GiuseppeC
Alteryx
Alteryx

@becki, see if the attached works. I used @mmenth's suggestion to serialise the image into rows, then added a record ID and joind the 2 images based on that, then added a formula tool to compare the 2.

Hope this helps!

Giuseppe

becki
8 - Asteroid

yes that would work but then I figured out the data has been changed, where columns are shifted over.  i'll post that as a separate question.  thanks

wottel
8 - Asteroid

This helped me use regex to split a field into separate columns that didn't have delimiters.. i needed each set of 5 digits to be split. The Tokenize option worked..  thanks for the post.. 

Labels