Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

sftp Download tool - Failed Initialization

Mmisiji60
7 - Meteor

Hello, i am pulling data (GET request) from a clients sftp.

The download tool and workflow was working fine for the last 2 months, no changes were made to the workflow nor the download process

suddenly i am getting Error transferring data: Failed initialization   error from the download tool.  I am passing just the url and  user/pass, one file download per run. 

Has anyone found the cause of this?

I am able to access the folder thru filezila just fine with the credentials, just not thru Alteryx.

6 REPLIES 6
Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Mmisiji60 

Most likely your IT changed the security settings according to this post.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Error-transferring-data-failed-init...

Mmisiji60
7 - Meteor

Yes you are right, the server's security was raised and is not matching the download tool security  transfer protocol. I am looking for a workarounds/ substitute for download tool. 

thank you

CHarrison
8 - Asteroid

Hi Mmisiji60! Did you find a solution/workaround to this problem yet?

Plamena10
6 - Meteoroid

Hi, it turned out that my client's encyption was higher than alteryx's and this blocked the connection.

I ended up using a python script in the workflow that would download the files from the SFTP to alteryx server.

CHarrison
8 - Asteroid

Hi Plamena10! Thanks for the swift response - any chance you could share an anonymised version of the Python script with me?

Plamena10
6 - Meteoroid

Sure-  this script is looking for .csv files in folder

Create 2 folders: 

1. for keyfile you will need to create folder both on your local PC and the server if required -in my case i store txt file with  SSH key

2. folder to where the file will be downloaded and (if needed) picked up back into the workflow

hope it helps

Labels