Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

search characters in a text using macro

LIOUJ
7 - Meteor

Hi,

I have a complex work match problem which I hope someone could help me as I'm new to macro.

I have a list of product description and in the description are certain text that will tell me if the product is a single unit or multi-pack.  For every product in the list I will need to find if there are particular text in the product description and if the text is found then it is a multi-pack.  The only problem is that there is no convention as to how multi-pack are recorded in the product description.  For example a 2-pack could be recorded in the product description as "2P" or "2PK" or just "2X".  Therefore to reduce the resource consumption of the workflow all I need is that once a match is found in a particular product description then stop the matching and flag that product as a multi-pack and then go onto to the next product.   

Here is an example of 5 products:

PURINA F/FST ROY TUNA 3X85GM
DINE CHICKEN MORSELS 85GM
S/TOM F/CTCH JMBOPACK 2X100GM
WHISKAS FAV CF TUNA IN JELLY 5P
PURINA F/FST CHICK GRAVY 12PK

I have created a file with all the possible pack size key word.  Here is an example of 3 possible convention to denoting a 6 multi-pack:

packsize1packsize2packsize3
2P2PK2X
3P3PK3X
4P4PK4X
5P5PK5X
6P6PK6X

For the first product, PURINA F/FST ROY TUNA 3X85GM, I will need to match against row 1 & 2 as well as column 1,2,& 3 - however once it finds a match in row 3/column 3 then it will stop there and write to a separate column that says its 'multipack'.

The pack size key word file is 24row by 3 column so I do not want to attach this file to every product record because it might make the file too big as there's about 1million rows of product data.  I was hoping you could help me with a macro.   

4 REPLIES 4
Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@LIOUJ 
No macro need, if you dont insist.

A Find and Replace Tool is perfectly fit for the job.

1116-LIOUJ.PNG

jamielaird
14 - Magnetar

Regex would be a great option for this - see below for an example:

jamielaird_0-1605534327243.png

The regex used for your use case is explained in more detail here:

https://regexr.com/5gbi6

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@LIOUJ 
Appeciate if you would mark it as accept if you find the workflow useful.

LIOUJ
7 - Meteor

Thanks both.

I am new to Regex so keen to learn more about it.  I find Regex a 'cleaner' solution as there's less step but am not familiar with the coding.

thanks.

Labels