Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

saving a file with the current date

cstafford
8 - Asteroid

I create a .csv file at the end of a workflow with a static filename. However, since this workflow will be run daily, I want to add the current date to the end of the static filename. How can I add this feature to the workflow?

7 REPLIES 7
jasperlch
12 - Quasar

Hi @cstafford

This can be done by adding a "Today" field using Formula tool to your dataset before the Output tool and check the box of "Take File/Table Name From Field" box in the Output tool:

Capture1.PNG

cstafford
8 - Asteroid

thank you, worked great.

sk1909
8 - Asteroid

Is there a way to format the date in this without the dashes? I need the date to be YYYYMMDD.

cstafford
8 - Asteroid

I would try the DateTimeTrim formula and concatenate as needed

DateTimeTrim(DateTimeToday(),"month"&&"day")

NJT
11 - Bolide

Now how do you do it with Excel files... and format the date @sk1909 was asking about. I'm working on a solution I can't seem to find it solved in the community in the same thread. I think I'll start a new thread that is called using current date in output file names for Excel and other formats and combine it all in one thread. I would think this would be out there already since I can't imagine people not needing this. 

cstafford
8 - Asteroid

to my knowledge and experience, it only works for .csv files.

Soraju
7 - Meteor

Did you find a solution to appending date on an excel file output?

Labels