Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

run batch macro for each list box element

MassimoDM
7 - Meteor

Hello, I am having trouble since yesterday to make a workflow that to me sounds trivial, maybe just because I'm used to Python programming.

basically, the final user has to select from a List Box Tool one or more elements, then I need, FOR EACH ELEMENT, to place it in a Filter Tool (filter out of a dataset only records that contain the element) and then perform other operations on this filtered dabaset (like Summarize, Formula and Report).

I am trying to do this with a batch macro, using the list as the control parameter, but I can't get it to work, no matter how I try. 

Please someone help me, I'm close to trash the whole workflow and just do it on Python lol

ps. sorry for not attaching any file but I'm working with sensible data

4 REPLIES 4
afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @MassimoDM,

you can use this to pass the elements to a batch macro one by one:

Untitled.png

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Regards

MassimoDM
7 - Meteor

thank you so much! 

I was just missing the Text to Columns Tool. I was passing to the macro the Text Input tool directly, without realizing it was just plain text and wasn't read as I expected. Adding the Text to Columns really did the trick, thank you again

ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

These two options are helpful to debug macros:

1) Designer > View > Interface Designer > Test View (the magic wand icon on the left hand side) > input your values > Open Debug.

This will create a new standard workflows with the actual values coming from your inputs.
A copy of the workflow will open called Debug Workflow# (# being some number)

2) Community > Blogs > Engine Works Blog > The X-Ray Browse: Macro Debugging Made Easier

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Engine-Works-Blog/The-X-Ray-Browse-Macro-Debugging-Made-Easier/ba-p...
Designed primarily for developing & debugging macros, the X-Ray Browse enables you to pick a location within a macro under development, to view the data passing through said macro at said location. The effect is similar to a Browse tool, but the data is made viewable through the encapsulating "skin" of the macro being developed.

Chris

MassimoDM
7 - Meteor

very useful information, I didn't know about this, thank you very much!

Labels