Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

run an analytic app as a workflow and provide default values for numeric up down

mstoler
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

I have an Analytic App which has several prompts including numeric up down.  When I run as an Analytic App it works.

However for testing I would like to run it as a workflow . When I run it as a workflow I get 0 for my numeric values.  

Is there a way to populate the input values when I run the workflow for testing?

Thanks,

Michael

5 REPLIES 5
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @mstoler 

When you run for testing, do you use debug mode? Access debug mode by opening the Interface Designer window (Crtl+Alt+D) and click the wand icon on the left for "test view". Here you will see what looks like your app interface, use this to enter the test/debug values you desire and click the "Open Debug" button on the right when you're ready. This will open your app as a workflow with your actions applied.

mstoler
8 - Asteroid

Thanks,

Is there also a way to use the Run button and populate the defaults?

Michael

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@mstoler wrote:

Is there also a way to use the Run button and populate the defaults?

As opposed to clicking the button? I use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+R. 

Defaults for most interface tools can be configured in each tool. When you have your app open in Designer, click on the Numeric Up/Down tool and you should see options to set the default, min, max, and increment values. 

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@mstoler They take a little bit of time to learn, but you can use reference shortcuts which allows you to both pass the data when run as an app while also allowing you to use test values when using the run button. Here is a good example of where I explain how to use reference shortcuts, quoted below:

@james204 Perhaps you can use reference shortcuts to accomplish what you're after? You are truly limited in what you can do when running as an app, but reference shortcuts let you continue to run as a workflow with user provided test values. That would allow you to continue to run it as a workflow while you're developing. There is a lot going on here in the picture below, but I've 1) added an interface tool 2) renamed it "variable" using the annotation tab on the interface tool 3) provided a value of "test value" on the workflow configuration panel 4) set my filter tool to 

[Field1]="%Question.Variable%"

Now I can run this as a workflow while I'm developing. When I deploy and and somebody runs it as an app on their machine or through the gallery, my test value is ignored/replaced with their user input like normal. I'd be glad to go into more details if you're having trouble, but I think reference shortcuts are great.

Capture.PNG

If you have specific questions, it would be great if you can share a sample workflow or dummy workflow and we can help mock something up for you.

mstoler
8 - Asteroid

This is exactly what I was looking for.

Thank You!

Labels