Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

reshaping data

Colin
6 - Meteoroid

I have data that with columns: ID, Category, V1, V2, V3, ..., VN

N is unknown in advance - it is specific to the data.

Category has an unknown M number of levels - it is specific to the data.

I want to reshape that data to get columns: ID, Category1V1, Category1V2, ...., Category1VN, Category2V1, Category2V2, ....., CategoryMVN

If I knew N and M in advance then I could manually set up the work flow using filtering and joins, but I don't know N and M in advance. I need the work flow to react dynamically to the structure of the data.

I can do this using looping in R but I want to do it natively in Alteryx. Is there a way to do this?

Colin

7 REPLIES 7
JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Colin

I had just a quick minute to take a look at this question so forgive me if it is not the full deal, but I think it should set you on your way. Please see the attached workflow (Built in 10.6). 

I used a combination of transpose, multi-row nd crosstab. 

Best,

Jordan Barker

Solutions Consultant 

Colin
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Jordan,

The transpose step doesn't return any rows when I use "Dynamic or Unknown Fields". It requires me to select V1 or V2 or V3 before it returns anything.

Colin

JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Colin

When you insert the transpose tools it should by default select all fields as the data fields? 

Can you show me a screenshot?

Best,

Jordan Barker

Colin
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Jordan,

Here is an example showing how no data rows come through from the transpose, and also an R script showing what I want to happen.

Colin

JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Colin

Please find my attached workflow which will give you the same result as your R workflow. 

Best,

Jordan Barker

Colin
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks Jordan. That's working :-). Now I will go through it and figure out how it works...

Colin

JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Okay sounds good @Colin! Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best,

Jordan Barker

Solutions Consultant

Labels