Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

repeat a set of tools

RSLippe
6 - Meteoroid

Hallo everyone,

I am a very beginner for Alteryx. I have a data set which contains more than 100 project name (100 fields) and each project also includes it information i.e. project_start and project_end, which means that there will be in total 300 fields.

Now I would like to transform this data form into a vertical format (as described below) given that one household can also participate in more than 1 project:

householdid   project_name  project_start   project_end

1                    xxx                   2 Jan 2016

1                    yyy

2                    xxx

Currently, I just selected a project and its information step-by-step and at the end I would use the "union" tool to append all the data files from each project. 

RSLippe_0-1574433517743.png

Since I have to do the process for 100 times, is there a way to repeat it automatically.

Many thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5
afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @RSLippe ,

If you could share some dummy data showing how the data input is I may be able to show you a solution.

Regards

OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @RSLippe this isn't technically answering your question, but the following workflow I think will show you how you can restructure your data:

OllieClarke_0-1574435176273.png

You can select tools in Alteryx and then copy and paste them if you wanted to do that, but normally if you're repeating sections of your workflow, then it's a sign that you might want to restructure your data. Also check out macros which allow you to condense a workflow into a single tool which you can then use elsewhere.

echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

If the input files have the same schema, you can actually just use a wildcard (*) in the file name within the input data tool. This will run through all of the inputs with the specified format/naming convention and union all of the results together automatically. 

RSLippe
6 - Meteoroid

thanks a lot. It works well

OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Good to hear @RSLippe. Would you mind marking the answer(s) that helped you as solutions, so people in the future can more easily find them?

Cheers,

Ollie

Labels