Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

remove/ keep/ split just last 2 LETTERS in a string

JLMToth
7 - Meteor

Hello,

I cannot get my formulas to work, and everything i have found only seems to work for numbers which does me no good.

I have a field with cities and states in it and want to split it to 2 columns one with city one with state. but the problem is some have a period between then, some have a comma and some have nothing between the 2. some Cities have a period in them already (ie. St. Louis) and some are multiple words (IE Cuyahoga Falls) the only common thing is that the last 2 letters are always the state. so i tried trim right/left to return the value without the last 2 and the value that is only the last 2... but have had no success. as soon as i try to put in the length of how many characters to return the formula stops working. like it doesnt want me to put a number in the length part.

4 REPLIES 4
PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Try Regex Tool > Parse,

(.*)(\u\u)

estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @JLMToth 

Try the Length function to determine the length of the whole field, then subtract 2 from that answer.

So, Right([Field],length([Field])-2)

Let me know if that helps

Cheers!

Esther

JLMToth
7 - Meteor

that was what i thought it should have been but it took the first 2 letters off the city name instead so if it was Cuyahoga Falls OH what was returned was yagoha Falls OH.  i tried going from the left then  (exact same formula but left instead if right) and it just kept erroring out... i am starting to wonder if there isnt a problem with my data

JLMToth
7 - Meteor

This did exactly what we needed and in one step! (better than what i was trying to do to start with) Thank you so much!

Labels