Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

regex_match formula VS regex tool issue

anthony
11 - Bolide

Hi, I am trying to find all urls in a list that have a subdomain domain by using \..*\.  which finds all urls with a dot domain dot. (btw this does not really work for domain.co.uk but I don't need that right now.)

This works great in the regex tool but if try to use in the regex_match formula it does not find those domains.

It seems the engine works differently between tool and formula?

What regex would i use the formula to get the same results as the regex tool?

Thanks,

Anthony

10 REPLIES 10
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

REGEX_MATCH([field1],".+[.].+" )

that should find anything followed by a '.' followed by more stuff

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
anthony
11 - Bolide

Why does the syntax need to be differnet?

Btw this worked REGEX_MATCH([Location on Site],".+[.].+[.].+" )

to find all store.domain.com's vs store.com

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

Anthony,

I'm a little bit confused.  I tested a regex tool (match) and a formula and got identical results.  See pic/module.  can you show me where it goes wrong for you?  Also, I only match store.domain.com with your expression.

Capture.PNG

anthony
11 - Bolide

I am trying to use the regex \..*\. in the formula. but what works in tool does not work in formula. See image and updated workflow.Capture.PNG

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

Parse, replace, match ...

With the functions of regex_replace I get the same results as REGEX tool with choice of replace, same with match.

Parse is a different animal. :)

MichelSza
7 - Meteor

Hi Anthony,

You can still  mimic the result of the Parse tool (using the Output Metthd="Parse" ) in a formula by using regex_replace rather than regex_match:

testRegEx_Amit.jpg

yes, Parse and Match are somewhat different and there is no Regex_parse function as this is the role of the parse tool.

Cheers,

Michel

anthony
11 - Bolide

Ok, technically I was not trying to parse as I just wanted to filter all subdomain urls from the non www. subdomains so I could go to the next step.

I use the regex tool quite a bit and was surprised to find out the same regex does not work in formula match. Does not help I started learning regex 20 years ago in VIM which again uses a different syntax.

Anyway, thanks for the help - as always I can usually find a hack around what I am trying to accomplish no matter how hard alterxy tries to stop me.

dshaw
8 - Asteroid

I need help with a REGEX formula.  I want to take  a column called Quarter in the following string format 2008Q1 and I want to change to the following format date format (Month, yyyy), so 03, 2008 for 2008Q1 so that I can use the DateTime format to convert to DateTime.  So, 2008Q2, would be 06, 2008, 2008Q3 would be 09, 2008, and  2008Q4 would be 12,2008.

Thanks,

Derreck

MichelSza
7 - Meteor

Hi Derreck,

You can split on the 'Q' and multiply the second part by 3.

After you'll need to recreate the date as a string and parse it.

Have a look at the attached WF.

hope it helps

Michel 

Labels