Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

regex help - match all alpha characters until numbers

hamzam
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I have some data like the following:

Abcd Efgh 1111

Abcd - Lmno

What I would like to get is just Abcd Efgh from the first row (get rid of all following numbers), and 

keep Abcd - Lmno

is regex the best way to do this? I tried a formula, but unfortunately, got all False

thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @hamzam ,

in your Regex tool try ([^\d+]+) and set up the parse function like this:

mceleavey_0-1602680704929.png

Bulien

estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @hamzam 

I would probably go a RegEx route with this one, although you could also use the Data Cleansing tool to remove all numbers.

Regex Replace will help you replace the numbers with nothing. If in a formula, you can use: Regex_Replace([Field],"(.*?)(\d*.*)","$1"). This marks everything before a number, and then after a number as distinct groups and replaces with just what's before the number.

Let me know if that helps. Cheers!

Esther

estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@mceleavey 's solution is also elegant. You could use the Replace method in the RegEx tool as well. My method uses a formula tool.

I'd go parse if the numbers are important to keep, and Replace if you want to drop them.

Cheers,

Esther

hamzam
8 - Asteroid

thank you both @mceleavey and @estherb47 

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

You're very welcome, @hamzam 

Bulien

estherb47
15 - Aurora