Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

"request_syntactically_incorrect" on Post API

knozawa
11 - Bolide

Hello,

I tried to use a Post API and received this error message in download tool:

DownloadData

{"errors":[{"code":0,"message":"request_syntactically_incorrect"}]}

DownloadHeaders

HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request

In postman, I use Body (raw) and successfully run the post API.

postman.png

In Alteryx, I've tried multiple different ways (Compose Query String/Body, Take Query String/Body from Field, and Use Following for Query String/Body) but none of them worked.

Basic

download-basic.png

Payload

download-payload.png

Does anyone know how to set up the download tool for post API?

Sincerely,

knozawa

6 REPLIES 6
JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @knozawa 

It looks like you have 9 headers set up in Postman as well, have you replicated these inside the download tool as well?

knozawa
11 - Bolide

Hi @JoeS ,

No, I didn't replicate it inside the download tool.

It seems like the headers are auto generated by Postman:

postman-headers.png

Do you think there is a way to auto-generate those headers using download tool?

Sincerely,

knozawa

JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

There will be some parts that are auto generated.

Due to the nature of API's and their "flexibilty" it can be quite hard to diagnose what's going on.

Have you tried changing the body to not have the wrapping parenthesis? AKA deleted the start and end brackets.

Failing that it may be best if you could send me the full details by PM and I'll look to get it working my side and can return how?

knozawa
11 - Bolide

Hi @JoeS ,

I deleted the "{" and "}", but it didn't work on Alteryx.  I will send you the full details through private message. 

Thank you for your help!

Sincerely,

knozawa

JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @knozawa 

Thanks for sending the details through, I thought I'd put the answer back here in case anyone else comes up against the same issue.

What you had done was correct, the only part that was missing is that when you use the payload option "Use Following for Query String/Body" it sets Content-Type to "application/x-www-form-urlencoded"

What you need to do is add to the header "Content-Type" and then your API needed "application/json".

2019-07-05_09-09-39.jpg

What also tripped me over is if you add to the header "content-type" AKA all lower case, it will actually end up sending "Content-Type" and "content-type" which then throws the error you were getting around incorrect syntax.

I'll PM you back the working workflow as well. 

knozawa
11 - Bolide

Hi @JoeS ,

Thank you very much!  I could successfully send the post API call through Alteryx after adding the header in the download tool. 

Sincerely,

knozawa

Labels