Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

"." in sql?

becki
8 - Asteroid

I have a question about SQL inputs in alteryx, just trying to clean up other people's workflows.  

1.  is there a reason to have (or not have) double quotes around the parts of an SQL statement like:

select * where "MSS"."DEPTA"."TABLE1" vs without the double quotes?

(I'm sure I'll find more)

thanks

becki kain

4 REPLIES 4
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@becki,

Putting double-quotes around an identifier in Oracle causes Oracle to treat the identifier as case sensitive rather than using the default of case-insensitivity. If you create a table (or a column) with double-quotes around the name, you must always refer to the identifier with double quotes and by correctly specifying the case (with the exception of all upper case identifiers, where double-quotes are meaningless).  Under the covers, Oracle is always doing case-sensitive identifier matching. But it always casts identifiers that are not double-quoted to upper case before doing the matching. If you put double-quotes around an identifier, Oracle skips the casting to upper case.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/563090/what-exactly-do-quotation-marks-around-the-table-name-do

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
becki
8 - Asteroid

but if everything is all upper case, there is no point, correct?

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

TRUe

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
becki
8 - Asteroid

the other bizarre thing i found was:

select * from tablename tablename1

it appears alteryx just ignores the "tablename1".  no idea how long or who put that in!

Labels