Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

"Unable to translate alias" when trying to connect to DB using dynamic input tool

AkisM
10 - Fireball

Attaching below screenshot of my SQL string (nothing wrong with it) and Dynamic Input configuration.

I can connect to the table just fine and pull data using a normal input tool. I can also see the table's contents just fine from WITHIN the Dynamic Input tool's preview pane. So why is it that when I run the workflow the Dynamic Input tool gives the error: Error: Dynamic Input (3): Unable to translate alias aka:5f7c2d23f560990303d9a679 ?

Edit: It's worth mentioning that I don't get this error if I use a different connection. The admins set up the connection strings as "galleries". Attaching screenshot below to explain what I mean.

What could be causing connection 1 to be working fine but connection 2 giving unable to translate alias error, even though it works with the simple input tool? Can you give me some pointers to tell the database admins what changes they need to make to the string?

5 REPLIES 5
joshuaburkhow
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Curious to know if you could reformat your connections to use DSN-less strings like this https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/How-To-format-common-ODBC-DSN-less-... and see if that helps you

Joshua Burkhow - Alteryx Ace | Global Alteryx Architect @PwC | Blogger @ AlterTricks
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Instead of "Replace a specific string", can you try the "SQL: Update WHERE Clause" instead?

AkisM
10 - Fireball

Hi @BrandonB . I have no idea why, but that worked. Can you elaborate as to why? Also, in the future I might indeed need to replace a specific string rather than just the where clause. How do we solve the issue of "unable to translate alias" popping up when the "replace a specific string" option is selected?

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Here is the documentation for the tool: https://help.alteryx.com/current/designer/dynamic-input-tool

I haven't used the "Replace a specific string" option before because whenever I am using a dynamic input I am always switching something out in the where clause. 

The "Replace a specific string" documentation says this: 

2. Replace a Specific String: Replace any instance of a string in a database with the value from a selected column.

Replace String with Column Value
  • Text to Replace: Enter the string that appears in the database.
  • Replacement Field: Select the column that contains the value to replace with the string you've entered. All columns you pass to this tool are available.
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

I think the "Replace a specific string" is more for swapping out a table name rather than a where clause value. 

Labels