Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

"Unable to allocate 21474383647 bytes of memory" on changing datatype

Izbiz
8 - Asteroid

Hi All,

I changed one thing in my work flow; changing one columns' datatype from V_String to String using the select tool so that I can use it as a Primary key in SQL. After the change I immediately got the error, "Unable to allocate 21474383647 bytes of memory" and the workflow now runs extremely slowly with this error.

I have changed my join/sort memory to be a quarter of the RAM as recommended, that's 2000 Megabytes on my machine. 

Does anyone know anything else about this error?

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

It sounds like you just need to optimise the field length of the field you have changed to a string. 

Ben

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Izbiz,

I'll take this a step further.  I would try putting an AUTO FIELD Tool in and see what happens.  I will also tag a friend, @RachelW so that she has visibility to the question.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
Izbiz
8 - Asteroid

Hi @BenMoss

When I changed it to a string, it automatically put "1073741823" in the size column - what would be the optimal size for a string here? The longest string is 8 characters long.

Thanks

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

In that case, 8 works!. Alternatively, as @MarqueeCrew suggests, if you use the autofield tool it will automatically detect the optimal length for the field. 

Ben

Izbiz
8 - Asteroid

Ok great! I'll do that

Strange that it automatically allocates the biggest (in the billions!) size possible

Thanks

Izbiz
8 - Asteroid

Hi @MarqueeCrew

Thanks, hadn't heard of the AutoField tool until now, looks handy. In the end I just changed the size of the string field to be 20 which fixed it.

RachelW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Great conversation here! I'm looking into the default v_wstring size. 21474383647 is quite large. It was chosen to prevent errors with data truncation. @Izbiz What's the typical size of your records with v_wstring type? 

Rachel Wynn
Product Manager - Designer
Labels