Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

"Preserving Formatting on Overwrite" not working?

BGallop
5 - Atom

Hello,

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but my searches proved fruitless.

I am outputting a sheet of data into Excel, which has "simple" formatting (like font size/colour, alignment and row height) and conditional formatting.

I am outputting to the Excel file like below:

BGallop_0-1637947377493.png

The data itself is fine, but it does not keep the "simple" formatting. I have tried using a named range, this did not work. Currently using the cell references is the best option because it doesn't overwrite the column headers. I know that Alteryx doesn't paste values, but instead inserts rows into the Excel, but in this case what formatting is supposedly being preserved  in this case?

Version: 2020.4.6.36807

Hopefully I'm being an idiot and this has a simple solution that I've just missed, but if someone could provide some insight on this that would be very helpful.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
AZuc
Alteryx
Alteryx

@BGallop ,

Could you provide a sample workflow (and data, including the formated Excel file) that could reproduce this behavior?

André Zuccatti

Sales Engineer - LATAM -
Alteryx, Inc.

BGallop
5 - Atom

Hello @AZuc 

Here are the attached files.

There are two outputs, one going to a raw data sheet (where formatting is not an issue), and the Shipments List one, where it does.

In the excel template I set all columns to be centered aligned (then manually adjusted for the title of the sheet). Font colour and alignment are all present, conditional formatting is also in place so I can make it look like a table once the data is inserted (since you can't insert data into tables from Alteryx).

I realise that regarding font colour, I could just use conditional formatting which I will likely do regardless, but the alignment issue is my main concern.

Thanks

Ben

BGallop
5 - Atom

Hi @AZuc 

Please see the files linked in the message above, I would love it if I could get to the bottom of this issue as it will determine how I structure the reports I make going forwards.

Ben

Labels