Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

"Output File Name as Field" option for Dynamic Input

KSmith307
6 - Meteoroid

I'm using the Dynamic Input tool to import the latest excel file in a folder. The excel data does not have when the data is pulled.  Is there a way to get the Creation Time as it's own column so I can have a Data As Of field?

4 REPLIES 4
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

The output from a DIRECTORY tool will provide Creation Time, LastWrite Time as variables.  If you output the filename as part of your input tool, you can join to this information.

Cheers,
Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
KSmith307
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Mark,

Thanks for quick response.  Sorry I'm fairly new to Alteryx and could not follow your instructions. I'm already using the Directory tool and using the Creation Time to point to which file I want to Dynamically input.  Could walk me through this solution in more detail?

Alteryx_Example.png

Katie

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@KSmith307,

Well that was quick!  I took the output from the SAMPLE and placed a select on it (changed creationtime from datetime to just date).  That select then was connected to an APPEND FIELDS tool where the top (target) data had the CreationTime (Source) appended to every record.

That was what was needed......

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
KSmith307
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks again for your speedy help!

Labels