Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

"No Table chosen..." Error for Dynamic Excell Output Naming

slckkrky
8 - Asteroid

Hello all

I want to get an Excell output file and change the name according to the field ie FW validation 123456.xlsx, FW Validation 958475.xlsx. I have selected "Change Entire File Path" however it keeps throwing an error.

I was using same method in the past which worked fine but donot know what is going on now.

Capture.PNGCould you help me to sort this out please?

Thank you

Selcuk

6 REPLIES 6
BrianR
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @slckkrky, in your [Wrapper_ID] column definition, are you also including a sheet name? I just tested, and when I create a column [Wrapper_ID] as follows:

[Wrapper_ID]

"c:\temp\excel_file.xls"

It fails with same error...when I add in the Sheet name, it works:

[Wrapper_ID]

"c:\temp\excel_file.xls|||Sheet1"

Question - I see on your Output File tool, you are outputting to XLS format, but in your post, you are referencing .xlsx version - the naming convention above should work for both, but just wanted to note that you have both listed, so not sure if that is by design.

slckkrky
8 - Asteroid

Hi BrianR

ignore the xlsx. please. It is designed xls.

Could you tell me where do you add the sheet name?

Thank you

Selcuk

BrianR
Alteryx
Alteryx

You can add that in a Formula tool - such as this:

BrianR_1-1597154678372.png

Then in your Output tool, if you configure it like your screenshot shows - i.e., check the box "Take File/Table Name From Field" and then choose "Change Entire File Path" - and choose [Wrapper_ID], it should write out correctly.

slckkrky
8 - Asteroid

I pasted the path of my output file in formula tool. Now it worked without an error, however it doesnot add anything at the end of file name. Could you share your workflow please?

Another question, what happens if you have multiple value in Wrapper Id column. How the file will be named then?

Thank you

Selcuk

seven
12 - Quasar
BrianR
Alteryx
Alteryx

I attached my version of the workflow - and I built in some variability which I think should help with your question. For example, I modified my formula to create a more dynamic file name, taking columns from my input data, and stitching together a complete filename that will change with each row in my data. 

Take a look at the attached - and here's the new formula I created:

BrianR_0-1597156491891.png

Regards,

Brian

If this solves your issue, please consider marking this as Complete so others can find this as well.

Labels