Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

"File not found" in Dynamic Input. File path too long?

Philippa
5 - Atom

Hello,

I am running a flow with Dynamic Input, and our files - stored on a central cloud server - have very long file path names.

We have control over some of the naming, and have been able to get the path lengths under 260, but this will be a recurring issue for us. I understand that Windows 10 removed the 260 character length limit, but it seems like it is still a part of Alteryx?

Has anyone found a longer term fix than manually shortening the file path names?

Thanks!

Philippa

5 REPLIES 5
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Philippa,

I created a filename = C:\Users\markf\Downloads\I am an unreasonably long filename given the challenge to be found via an Alteryx dynamic input but I do realize that I am not quite the 260 bytes asked in the question I should be long enough to test a theory.csv

Reading from a DIR tool, I see this file as one of the files that I need to read via the DYNAMIC INPUT tool.  No worries!  I inserted a formula and created an update to the FullPath field as:

[Directory]+[ShortFileName]

The result was = C:\Users\markf\Downloads\IAMANU~1.CSV

The data was read without error, warning or other maladies.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
Philippa
5 - Atom

Thanks, Mark! I'll give this a try. Sounds very reasonable!

Tjabo
6 - Meteoroid

Great question I was wondering this too!

/T

bkclaw113
9 - Comet

This solution works if it is the filename that is causing the path to be excessively long, but I would think the more common scenario is that the directory structure is very deep and the [Directory] portion by itself is over 260 characters.  Any suggestions on how to deal with this situation?

davidhenington
10 - Fireball

Yes this is the issue for me as well! 

Labels