Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

"Configure Tool Palette" Error, After adding Multi-Row -Field -Column Formula Tool

mike_w
8 - Asteroid

I found the following error: I added the tool to Designer, and then clicked on the "+" sign in the upper right corner, in order to configure the tools. The "Multi-Row -Field -Column Formula Tool " was added to the "Preparation" tools - when you click on that section, you should see all tools in the Preparation tools section. But the last item you currently see in the right window is the "Multi-Row -Field -Column Formula Tool ", and the scrollbar does not show up, so there's no way to scroll to the tools that come alphabetically after "M". My suspicion is that the presence of this non-default tool is the culprit for the missing scrollbar. There's also no checkbox for the tool. Hope this helps 

mike_w_0-1624377380047.png

7 REPLIES 7
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@mike_w What version of alteryx are you using? I'm using 2021.2.1 and 2020.2.3 and 1) I don't have the same issue as you and 2) mine looks different as it doesn't have the pictures of the individual tools.

patrick_digan_0-1624396885693.png

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

@patrick_diganicons pop up when dropdown is activated (at least on my system (2021.2)?

mike_w
8 - Asteroid

Hi @patrick_digan , I have version 2021.2.1.  Interesting to see that you don't have the same error. I just checked it again, still the same

mike_w
8 - Asteroid

there's ANOTHER weird thing happening in this configuration window:  When I open the window, at first it looks like the screenshot that @patrick_digan has posted - without the icons. Let's say I am initially on "In/Out" - no icons. Let's say now I click another section (eg "Join") and then go back to "In-out" - now the icons show up. I observe this behavior in all sections - the first time I click on it, no icons, after that the 2nd, 3rd etc time - with icons. 

If I close the "Configure Tool Palette" window, and re-open it, the behavior starts all over. 

But regardless, I do not have access to any tools beyond the "Multi-Row -Field -Column Formula" Tool bc the Scrollbar is missing, and the tool has no checkbox in front of it. I noticed that the tool shows a red "D" in the lower left corner (but not for @patrick_digan ), what does that mean?

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@mike_w interesting, I now see what you mean about switching categories and I'm having the same thing where the icons pop up after I switch. But I do have a scrollbar showing so everything is working on my end.

As for the D red, that's just part of my custom icon for that macro. The crew macros used a red C, so I went for a red D. 

mike_w
8 - Asteroid

@patrick_digan thanks for the input - your initial posting helped me realizing that this is probably not a general bug, but just a "bug" in my local configuration. So I tinkered around a bit and figured it out! The reason the checkbox didn't show up as well as the missing scrollbar was - the path to the macro contained at least one space. I replaced the spaces with "_', reinstalled the macro and voila, the problem was gone! 

The other issue though, with the icons not showing up in the initial viewing of a tool area in the "Configure Tool Palette" window, I think that's a genuine bug - right? 

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@mike_w Interesting find on that space issue! I would agree that the icons not showing up initially is a genuine bug.

Labels