Alteryx Designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

"Bad Arc Calculation in Voronoi" error from Trade Area tool

Balders
11 - Bolide

When I have points near the +/-180 degree longitude line, I get this error when the "eliminate overlap" button is checked. Trade areas are created okay when it is not checked and when the points are away from the +/-180 degree longitude line.

I have attached a sample workflow illustrating the error.

7 REPLIES 7
Balders
11 - Bolide

As an addendum to this, I have been playing around with other configurations on the +/- 180 degrees border and  some Voronois build but have obvious gaps in them, as attached in this second workflow.

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@ChristineB@SophiaF - would you mind passing this one onto one of the experts on the spatial tools internally?

brianprestidge
8 - Asteroid

Im having the same issue with the 'Bad Arc Calculation' - did you come to any conclusion on this guys?

StephenR
Alteryx
Alteryx

@AdamRwould probably know what's going on.

Regards,
Stephen Ruhl
Customer Support Engineer

AdamR
Alteryx
Alteryx

I believe there are some known limitations with the spatial tools at the "edges of the world" 😉

We don't have many clients trying to run trade area analysis on the Pacific Islands so it is not an issue that many people often run into.

Did these examples come from a real world example? If so I would recommend raising it with customer support so it can be logged officially as an issue.

Adam Riley
Principal Software Engineer
Tech Lead Core Engines, Alteryx
sascha
5 - Atom

Hi all,

I just ran into the same issue. It worked for me converting my base lat/long value from double to FixedDecimal 8.5 and to generate my spatial point (and tradearea) from that data.

Best regards,

Sascha

glenperes
8 - Asteroid

I had a similar "Bad Arc Calculation in Voronoi" error when the centroids was close to the 0 degree Longitude (which is a common location for items in UK/ Spain) and the trade area was 0.05km.  

When i increased the trade area to 0.1km the error disappeared.

Labels