Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

python tool output: "PermissionError: unable to delete file"

Joshman108
8 - Asteroid

I am getting 

PermissionError: unable to delete file: D:\ProgramData\Alteryx\Engine\Engine_15892_4fc8cc81212046699f225852a85d7cd8_\eb1d8c59-924e-4ba7-bc45-70ed9f97a095\output_1.yxdb

on this line

Alteryx.write(df,1)

I actually have multiple copies of the same workflow open and am running them all concurrently. 

I'm afraid this error is somehow caused by the python tools actually being linked to the same python kernel on the backend which then tries to output the file to a file already in use by another workflow.

Is this what is happening?

Confusingly, this doesn't stop alteryx from streaming out the data, or at least indicating that is it. I'm worried if multiple workflows are trying to access the same yxdb then when workflow 2 throws a permission error but still streams out data, it is actually streaming out data from the yxdb written from workflow 1, not from workflow 2.

Is that correct?

Weird stuff. 

1 REPLY 1
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

hi @Joshman108 

I believe that having multiple copies of a workflow open will have all the corresponding Python tools to reference the same instance of the Jupyter notebook.  If you switch the tools to Production mode, they get decoupled and changes made in one tool stop affecting the others. 

Try this and let us know if that fixes your temp file issue as well.

Dan

Labels