Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

pulling specific rows of data

Wynn
8 - Asteroid

Hi!

Could someone please help me write out the regex expression to pull the specific rows of data in the attached file below ( highlighted) Basically, I'm trying to pull the data starting with "Total ###( 3 digits) ". There are several rows of data starting with "data" but I just want to get the one following by 3 digits and then -. Thanks so much in advance !

5 REPLIES 5
TomWelgemoed
12 - Quasar

Hi @Wynn ,

For this case I think you can just use (\d+) in the Regex Parse method.

Regards,

Tom

Wynn
8 - Asteroid

Hi @TomWelgemoed ,

Thank you so much for your help! The solution is great. However, I just have a question for future for reference. What is really the difference between "+" vs *.

In your expression, you used (\d+) instead of (\d*). I'm aware that * means "zero or more" and + means " one or more". Do you mind providing an example to suggest when I should use * instead of + or vice versa? I found this super confusing some time.

Thanks again for your help! Really appreciate this.

Wynn
8 - Asteroid

Hi @TomWelgemoed ,

Just tagged you here again in case you missed my last reply. Please see my previous reply when you have a chance. Thanks!

TomWelgemoed
12 - Quasar

Hi @Wynn ,

Firstly, apologies for the delay. I did see your note and it was on my list to respond to!

Secondly, good on you for trying to really understand it.

The reason I didn't get back to you straight away is because I needed to understand it better myself. I'm no regex expert, and often have to test it to learn it myself. If you don't know this already, I can really recommend https://regexr.com/ for trying out regex - you can just cut & paste your text there and try out different methods.

To trial your question, I simply expanded our set of data with some other numeric examples and then compared the 2 outputs. So take this as an investigative result, rather than an expert's view:

To me it looks like the \d* method only really works on numbers - it doesn't appear to be very good at picking out the digits that follow text. See image below. The \d+ method however does appear to be very good at picking out the first group of digits it comes across across (that match the pattern specified). Also, when I put the \d* method on regexr.com, a warning pops up on the top right, saying that this method may have some undesired effects. So my 2 cents: probably best to avoid it as \d+ seems to cover all the required scenarios. Attaching the workflow for you.

Best,

Tom

Regex.png

Wynn
8 - Asteroid

Hi @TomWelgemoed ,

Thanks so much for taking your time to answer my questions. It is really helpful. I truly appreciate your effort.

Labels