Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

problem of non-english characters in headers of xls format

xihan
6 - Meteoroid

I have a weird problem when I use input tool to read xls files. I have Chinese character in the headers. Some files can correctly read all the headers, however, some files turned Chinese characters into a string of multiple question marks. I could not find where is the problem.

Another weird discovery: those files with this problem can be read correctly in alteryx when they are opened using microsoft excel.

4 REPLIES 4
xihan
6 - Meteoroid

The Chinese characters not in the headers are all correctly read. And when I choose First row contains data, the wrong headers can all be read correctly, just problem with headers I do not know why.

Watermark
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Can you open them without identifying them as headers in the import tool (first row contains data), then use a dynamic rename to move them from first line to the header?

xihan
6 - Meteoroid

oh, that works. Thanks. I am quite new to Alteryx. This is the situation I am faced with.

I need to import a lot of xls files in one folder and combine these files into one table. I tried to use directory ->dynamic input, but since the headers of some files could not be read correctly. How should I add a dynamic rename tool for each file? What tool should I use for this situation? 

Watermark
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

See the flow attached.  You use the input tool, then only import names, then in the dynamic input tool, you still do the same thing where you identify that you have data in first row.  You do that in the field where you set a template for the imported sheets. 

If you import a lot of sheets you'll have to go back after and filter out the all the rows of header data but that should be simple enough. 

If this solves your challenge can you please mark with accepted solution. 

Labels