Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

parameter date at the input

gvishal9
6 - Meteoroid

Hi All , 

I have an input source(SQL server ) . Through this i get millions of records . And then , before getting into the flow (Filters and select) . I need to have the ability to select the date at the input . Is this possible in alteryx . Like using the date or dynamic input field at the input data source? 

Could you please help me out with this scenario ? 

Thank you 

11 REPLIES 11
danielbrun2
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi,

What i think you are looking for is to use In-database tools to generate the right query, and the get the result into Alteryx. Take a look here:

http://help.alteryx.com/9.5/In-DatabaseOverview.htm

Best,

Daniel

vishwa_0308
11 - Bolide

Hi Vishsal,

If you want add a date column in your record then just after input tool place a formula tool make a column named "Date" with date/datetime type and use function "DateTimeToday()". then you'll get current date in a separate column in your file.

Add_date.JPG

Regards,

Vishwa

gvishal9
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Vishwa , Thank you for your reply . The database already consists of a field that states the date and time . I just need to have the ability to use a parameter to select the date at the beginning of my workflow . ie at the input . 

gvishal9
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Bolide , 

Thank you for your reply . The database already consists of a field that states the date and time . I just need to have the ability to use a parameter to select the date at the beginning of my workflow . ie at the input . Do you think it is possible using the following mentioned tools ?

danielbrun2
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi,

It sure is. The in-database tool help you generate the query to the database. You could for example specify a filter on date. Then it will only pull data for the specified date.

Best,

Daniel

gvishal9
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you daniel . I just checked that particular tool . It queries in the database . It doesnt give me an option to select date . I need to have an easy ability to select date or dates . Thats actually the requirement . 

vishwa_0308
11 - Bolide

See if you want to use only date fields then you can use Dynamic select tool where you can specify the types to select only specified type fields. Can you explain little bit more with example what you actually want? 

gvishal9
6 - Meteoroid

ok . Here is the full context .

I have a red shift data base which contans millions of records . So here i am using an input tool and connecting it to the appropriate table. 

Once i connect using input command . I am basically writing this into an output ( which is a tableau data extract) .

The requirement here is . In those input data . I have a date field . In YYYYMMDD . 

So i want to know is there any way without using SQL query that i can use any of tool in alteryx ( Preferably linked into the input) that lets me choose the date i require and generates an output file ?

So,After 2 months of creating this workflow. I want to select a random date and write into the output when i click on run. So is it possible in alteryx?

danielbrun2
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi,

See this video: https://vimeo.com/174339524

I hope this helps

Best regards,

Daniel

Labels