Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

output currency values to excel

mstoler
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

I am output to an excel value but my numbers are being stored as text.

I would like them to be stored formatted as currency values.  Is there an easy way to do this without having to use the reporting tools?

Thanks,

Michael

4 REPLIES 4
echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Having the numbers formatted with "$" and commas makes them into string values. You can use the reporting tools to dynamically format these and keep them as numeric values.

Another option is to have an excel file as a "template" with the columns/rows already formatted to be currency values. From there, you can use Alteryx to output the data into this template and keep the formatting.

Hope this helps!

jarrod
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hey @mstoler ,

I came across this post and decided to try out the "preserve format" option in the output tool that @echuong1 recommended. Admittedly, I've not used this before now, but i am definitely going to start implementing this as a solution in many of my templated workflows, as it works really well. I've attached my workflow i threw together to test it out. You should be able to keep your numeric fields and use the output tool to overwrite the range. Let me know if you have any questions.

jarrod_0-1594752641003.png

mgroleau
5 - Atom

Can you elaborate on how to add $ to the numeric values using the reporting tools? I have been trying to so it via row rule in the table tool unsuccessfully. 

jarrod
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

@mgroleau , when you select a field in the table tool (when it's numeric) you have the option of adding a prefix or suffix. Each field will need this applied. If you have data that updates field names (like monthly data) then you can apply the setting to the unknown/dynamic field and each new field will have the prefix/suffix applied.

Labels