Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

output TXT

DennyChan
8 - Asteroid

Hello

how can you output and file as a .txt doc

many thanks

denny

6 REPLIES 6
CristonS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Hi Denny,
In an Output tool, select Comma-Delimited Text Files (*.csv) as your File Format.  When naming your file to save, add the .txt extension.

Thanks,
Criston
DennyChan
8 - Asteroid
Thanks Criston for your help

It worked but however I need the delimated as a tab is there a way to have the Tab formatting and output as .txt

many thanks

Denny
AdamR_AYX
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi Denny

For the Delimiters option in the output tool enter \t

This will make the file tab delimited

Cheers
Adam

Adam Riley
https://www.linkedin.com/in/adriley/
DennyChan
8 - Asteroid
Thanks Adam and Criston

It worked, much appreciated, thanks for your Time

Denny

aMac
8 - Asteroid

Hi Criston, thanks for the tip. It seems like this approach is no longer working in the later releases. I even tried creating a filename variable that was  [variable] + ".txt" and then using that as the filename variable but the workflow still error'ed out  and files that were outputted were exported as csvs

Is there a new recommended approach?

EDIT: After some continual tinkering around I was able to resolve this specific problem but:

1. Un-checking the 'first row contains headers' checkbox

2. setting 'Quote Output fields' to Never

3. Deleting the delimiter null and keeping it as null

4. Setting the generic field output to .txt

I am not sure if @CristonS's image showed all this, but it's currently broken for me, so hopefully other users find this checklist helpful

craigmewis
5 - Atom

Thanks a lot for this! It works for me.

Labels