Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

nth Order tool

rmwillis1973
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

Just a quickie - how do i create a field which calculates the nth Order (1st, 2nd, 3rd etc) for a particular customer.

I have Customer No, Order Date & Order No. fields in my data.

i'm sure it is very easy, but can't find a solution on the forum.

Thanks,

Richard

5 REPLIES 5
JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

Could you select just the Order Date and Order Number; Sort on the Date, then add a RecordID?  The RecordID should then serve as a counter for the orders.  [EDIT: or to reset for each customer... Michael and James' answers have that.]

rmwillis1973
8 - Asteroid

I could but i want to re-set the nth order each time there is a new customer (to get the nth order for each customer).

Thanks

michael_treadwell
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Use the Multi-Row Formula tool to create grouped counts

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

you'll have to use a multi-row formula tool grouped by customer creating a new field of RecordID

Simple formula of :

[Row-1:RecordID]+1
DultonM
11 - Bolide

Hi rmwillis1973!

Do you want just a row per customer with their latest order? If so, Sort by Customer and then Order Date. Then use a Summarize tool to "Group By" on Customer and "Last" on Order#

If you want a count of the number of orders they have, you can also add a "Count" on Order# to the Summarize tool!

Labels