Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

multiple vlookups or find and replace or?

emily7
5 - Atom

Hello,

I have a column with many rows each filled with different descriptions. I want to find words within the row and if a certain word is found then separate it out into different categories. The idea is similar to a vlookup in Excel, however, because there’s multiple words within each cell that matches, vlookup only return the first match.

For example:

Words

Category

Breakfast

a

Lunch

a

Dinner

a

social

b

party

b

Data

Amount

Category A

Category B

social bagel breakfast 

$10

True

True

lunch break

$3

True

False

Team activity

$18

False

False

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I suggest separating out the values into a separate line, then doing the match.

This may not be the best way, but here's how I'd approach it.

echuong1_0-1615939721151.png

emily7
5 - Atom

Thank you! I'll give it a test with my file that has more rows, but it's looking lovely.

emily7
5 - Atom

Hello,

Is there a way to modify the workflow where it'll accept (return as true) a variation of the word within the data? For example, the word "lunch" is within the "luncheon meeting" description. The workflow doesn't account for it. I'll need to include "luncheon" in my word list in order to pick it up, which will make it more complicated as words that are plural or abbreviated will not be picked up. 

Thanks!

echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

If you want to account for partial matches, use the find and replace instead of join.

echuong1_0-1616010831972.png

Labels