Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

multiple column find and replace

JuniorS
6 - Meteoroid

Please help 🙂

How do I dynamically replace a lot of fields so I have table one with each subject and difficulty rating and I want to be able to calculate an overall difficulty average for each student :

table 1:

mathtypemath difficultyEnglish typeEnglish difficultyart typeart difficultymusictypemusic difficulty
a9e9a10x9
b6f6b8y6
c5g4c6z3
d4  d4  

table two :

studentmathtypeenglishart type
aaaeb
bbafd
ccdga
ddaea
ggcgd

I want to a be able to say Student aa has , difficulties 9 + 9 + 8 without having to do multiple find and replace tools for each subject type to subject difficulty . how would a dynamic replace work for this, to give me table two with difficulties for each type.

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3
JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @JuniorS I mocked up a workflow I believe answers your question let me know what you think?

rename_020120.PNG

ashissanpui
9 - Comet

@JuniorS  - I think you need to rearrange your data. I have attached the workflow as a solution.

ashissanpui_0-1577980863763.png

EW
11 - Bolide

One way is to transpose each data set, and use crosstab and join to bring them back together like the attached.  

replacing fields.PNG

Note that I edited the headers from your example to make them consistent and parse-able - if that's not a good option, you may need to add data cleansing for a formula to make them consistent.  

Labels