Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

multifield lookup

Yuri24
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I am trying to do a multiple field lookup in the designer. The data I am processing has 4 fields and 3 of the should match either condition in a Ref table.

Ref Table(sample rows):

Col ACol BCol C
ABC
ADC
 BE
A C
AD 
  C

I need compare Col A, Col B, Col C so that it  matches  (Col A and Col B and Col C) for (row1 or row2 or row 3 or ...). Eg:

my filter should have something like (Col A='A' and Col B='B' and Col C='C') or (Col A='A' and Col B='D' and Col C='C') or (Col A='' and Col B='B' and Col C='E') and so on. 

Problem here is I have to check for atleast 150 rows and it may increase. So instead of doing the row by row compare for multiple fields as shown above, is there an alternative? (like a loop through for all fields?)

TIA

3 REPLIES 3
Jean-Balteryx
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @Yuri24 ,

Would it be easier going the other way and using rules for what you don't want ?

Yuri24
8 - Asteroid

Hi Jean,

That's just sample lookup data but the actual data has different values to choose from and I may have to add a few additional look up fields at sometime. And the values are random to work the other way around.

Thanks

RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @Yuri24 ,

what about using a Join tool? You could create a Text Input tool with a list of criteria  and join it to your data. If a col has to be empty, place an '-' in your criteria list, and use a Multi Field Formula tool a create the field to check (including a '-' as replacement for empty cells).

2021-06-25_14-45-05.jpg

What do you think?

Best,

Roland

Labels