Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

multi row formula with contains function

Kirstyp
8 - Asteroid
Hi, I'm fairly new to alteryx and have a query with my data set and multi row formula. I have some data showing a unique client ID and dates and placement type (long or short) into residential or nursing care. I have sorted my data by ID and start date. I am trying to identify if the placement started this year , was not concurrent from previous years/started previous years and the placement term contains long or the status contains long , this would be a new admission to long term care, however the client could have 2 admissions this year to care (like a change) but only one should be counted as new - can anyone help with the formula I need to try to Solve this.

Thanks in advance
7 REPLIES 7
SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @Kirstyp

Easy way to crack through this one, is to mock up a table of inputs, and what you need on the output.

As you say, a multi-row tool could possibly help - or it may benefit from a generate rows tool.

Pop some sample data on the thread (even if it's mocked up data that demonstrates the problem that you're having) and we can crack through this quickly.

cheers

sean

Kirstyp
8 - Asteroid
Hi Sean

Apologies just realised that my attachment did not send earlier - this data
relates to the multi-row query I posted.

I have attached some example data and a end results tab of what i am trying
to get from the data - I haven't been able to achieve this in alteryx so
any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Kirsty
Kirstyp
8 - Asteroid

Hi Sean

Data now attached (hopefully)

Thanks again for your help.

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor
NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi @Kirstyp!

Okay, take a look at the attached. There is a LOT going on here, so I'll summarize what is happening for each objective, but it will make the most sense if you take a look at each tool to start to get familiar with the capabilities and how they can be used...

Added a few tools at the beginning to make life easier for later calculations, including an initial Summarize tool to group all fields (thereby eliminating any duplicates, which appeared to find a few), filtering out entries that had a null value for Placement Reason, calculate starting & ending Fiscal Year value for the year based on start and end date (using today's date if there isn't an end date), and then generating rows between the starting fiscal year date and the ending fiscal year date. Following are some options for calculating each of the objectives identified in the tab in your sample data...

1. People in Residential vs. Nursing care each year: Filter for ActiveFiscalYear >= 2014 > Summarize tool (Group by ActiveFiscalYear & Service Type, Count Distinct customer ID's) > Cross-Tab to put the years as headers and show count per Service Type.

2. # of Long Term/Short Term admission per year: Identify Short vs. Long using RegEx tool (there are many other ways to do this part, including string formulas) > Multi-Row formula to check if moved from Short to Long/vice versa and if the end date of the prior row is equal to the start date of the current row (which would indicate no gap in service) > Filter out "NEW" admissions > Summarize tool (Group by ActiveFiscalYear, Count Distinct customer ID's)

3. Total deceased & deceased per year: Filter for Date of Death <> Null and Date of Death = SER Actual End Date > Summarize tool (Group by Fiscal Year End, Count Distinct customer ID's). Join to a Summarize tool result of the Count Distinct customer ID's with no grouping, then appended to the # deceased per year from the above branch.

4. Number of bed nights per client: Formula tool to calculate date difference between start & end date > Summarize tool (Group by customer ID, sum Bed Nights)

5. Age at admission: Summarize tool (Group by customer ID & DOB, minimum Start Date) > Formula tool to calculate date difference in years between DOB & Start Date of admission.

This example you've provided is actually a great example of the flexibility of the Summarize tool, as it was used in every one of the parts of this suggested solution. Please take a look at the attached example, dissect the pieces, and let me know if you have any questions! (Feel free to message me privately if you'd prefer!)

I hope this helps get you started on this path to realizing the potential of this program - there are probably a hundred different ways to calculate the items you are wishing to calculate - this is just one of many! But there should be some good examples in here of the types of calculations & procedures you can perform... so let me know if you run into stumbling blocks with this, or if the workflow needs additional tweaking! 

Cheers,

NJ

Kirstyp
8 - Asteroid

This is excellent Nicola, thank you very much, you have helped me massively by producing this workflow, thank you.

I will accept your solution :)

NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

@Kirstyp - per our conversation (and since I can't attach workflows to private messages), see attached for a variation that should help achieve tracking by month as well as Fiscal Year. :) Let me know if it works!

Cheers,

NJ

Labels