Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

merge sheets with same color

cjain
7 - Meteor

Hello 

i have a workbook containing multiple sheets.

there are total 10 sheets.. i want to merge sheets 4 sheets sepertely i a new sheet and 4 more sheet seperately and keeping the other two as it is.

is it possible if i assign a same color or some same criteria or something ?

5 REPLIES 5
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @cjain 

Alteryx doesn't read any formatting information from the excel file, so the colour idea won't work, though it's a good one.  You'll have to do something with the sheet names, since that's the only way to tell where the data came from.   If the grouping is static, you can include a text input with the sheet names and which group they belong to. Join this to your data to determine the group for each sheet. 

If it's dynamic, with either the sheet names or groupings varying, you'll need some way to enter this dynamically.  You can use a separate excel sheet in the input file as a key with sheet names/grouping info and join this to main data set.  If the user can tell which sheets should be grouped, you can also try to create an analytic app, where an input tool reads the sheet names and cross tabs the list to get the sheet names as headers.  Feed this list to two separate List boxes, one for the 1st grouping and another for the 2nd grouping and have the user select the sheet names to group.

Dan

cjain
7 - Meteor

Danilang thanks for the solution.. i have static sheet name .. can you please share with me sample model on how to  merge them ..

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @cjain 

How do you want to merge them?  Simply union all the records or do you need to join records?  Can you provide a small sample file with 4 sheets, just a few records per sheet and what the result should look like?

Dan

cjain
7 - Meteor

i have attached the sample data.

so i want to merge adam mark cube tab

and merger sperately frnd  fdhi tab

the sheets merging should have the data on one below each other

and i don't want a pivot just want to appear one by one below.

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @cjain 

Since your sheet names are static, the easiest way to do this is to simply use one input per sheet and union the results

danilang_0-1592743278142.png

The final formula just gets the sheet name from the full path, if you need it

Here's the output of the first group.  The second one is similar

danilang_1-1592743352873.png

Dan

Labels