Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

<![CDATA problems ]]>

hroderick-thr
11 - Bolide

Using Designer 2020.3

I'm trying to parse the xml from Tableau tds and twb files.

The xml tool is ignoring content contained in CDATA (Wikipedia CDATA)

To make matters worse, when trying to parse out the CDATA content using simple tools, the formula tool keeps crashing Designer when using a formula tool with this configuration

hroderick-thr_0-1613157819140.png

I'll like and follow you for a solution before I report to support.

Thanks for looking.

4 REPLIES 4
hroderick-thr
11 - Bolide

More info...

The snip above repeatedly crashed Designer. But separating as shown below works

hroderick-thr_0-1613158405980.png

hroderick-thr
11 - Bolide

Here is a working wikipedia link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CDATA 

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @hroderick-thr 

In order to generate the value in the Data Preview field, Designer takes the value from the field in the first data row and calls the Alteryx Runtime Engine passing in this value and the current formula.  The Engine crunches the data and returns the value to Designer to be displayed.  You seem to have hit on a special case that cases the Runtime Engine to crash while trying to generate the preview.  Splitting the formula in 2 generates 2 intermediate results, both of which are processed with no issue 

Other than the split, I don't think that there'll be a work around for this.  Open a support case.

Dan

hroderick-thr
11 - Bolide

Sadly, that is the solution. Ithe formula tool problem is no big deal. It would never be discovered if the xml tool didn't treat cdata as comments.

Labels