Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

locations within 5 miles of a route

aehrenwo
11 - Bolide

I have a list of locations that I am bringing in the U side of the find nearest tool and I have a Sequence polyline coming into the T input. When I try to find the nearest points within 5 miles I am getting no results on the M output. 

Am I not using this tool correctly? I am still very green on the Spatial tools so not sure what I am doing wrong, 

aehrenwo_0-1634321547506.png

3 REPLIES 3
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Can you try switching your target and universe and see if that fixes things? 

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

This article goes in depth with the Find Nearest tool and different available configurations: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Tool-Mastery-Find-Nearest/ta-p/1841... 

My other recommendation would be to increase the maximum distance because if none of your matches are within 5 miles you won't receive any results. 

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @aehrenwo 

The configuration you posted should work, I would review the data and confirm that there are actually points within 5 miles to match as @BrandonB suggested. I put together the attached workflow to show off two things:
1. The Find Nearest tool should return the appropriate results as you have configured it

2. If you want to see how many total points are within 5 miles of the line, the second container shows how to use the Buffer tools to create a 5 mile polygon around the line and a Spatial Match to find any points within. 

20211015-FindNearest.PNG

Check it out and let me know if you have any questions. 

Labels