Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

isnumber(v) isn't recognising a number

GaryKennedy
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Alteryx Community,

I am new to Alteryx so apologies if my question is basic.

I want column named "Replacement" to populate with True if there is a number in field "replacement order#" and to populate with False if a letter is in column "replacement order#"

I tried ISnumber[replacement order#] but it is showing 0 for all entries.

One of the numbers I am trying to return as True is is "40116486, 142698960".

I appreciate any help on this.

Regards,

Gary

10 REPLIES 10
john_miller9
11 - Bolide

@GaryKennedy

If the field in question has a mix of letters and numbers it's likely formatted as a String or V_String type.  You might be better off using a regular expression to parse this out to see if it contains a number.

jm

GaryKennedy
6 - Meteoroid

Yes the column is a V String type. I am not familiar with regex, can you provide some more detail as to how to parse this out please?

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus
Regex_countmatches("[^0-9]")=0
Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
GaryKennedy
6 - Meteoroid

I'm not sure if I did that correctly, sorry I am a complete beginner. 

I am aware that the "replacement order" column contains numbers, how do I return "True" in the separate "replacement" column and "False" if there are letters showing?

When I try the Isnumber after the regex parse I am getting a Parse error at char(30): parse expression#1) on the isnumber formula field.

john_miller9
11 - Bolide

Add a formula tool after your input and enter the expression that @MarqueeCrew provided (including your field name).  Wrapping it with a Switch function will give you a True / False value rather than 0,-1.

Switch(Regex_countmatches([replacement order#],"[^0-9]")=0,[replacement order#],0,'False',-1,'True')
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus
If you drop that formula into a filter directly it will separate the data too

GaryKennedy
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you for formula, this is almost perfect.

I want [replacement] to show "True" when "40116486, 142698960" is in the "replacement order#" field it is currently showing False. I want  "40116486, 142698960" to continue to show in the "replacement order#" field as they are for two valid order numbers. When I do parse it seems to remove one of the numbers which is not what I want.

Also I want False to show in the replacement field for [null] fields.

I really appreciate the help!

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

Switch(Regex_countmatches([replacement order#],"[^0-9\s,]")=0,[replacement order#],0,'False',-1,'True')

As you wish

GaryKennedy
6 - Meteoroid

Brilliant! One last minor detail, any idea how to get the [null] from replacement order# field to show as False in the replacement field? It currently shows as True. 

Labels