Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

input tool for a long string (SQL query)

janez_007
7 - Meteor

hi all,

I am searching for an input tool (or any other workaround) which would enable me to manually paste a long string (SQL query) to a field value and use it later in the workflow (as an input to update another SQL query in the Dynamic Input Tool).

Edit: the SQL code that I would like to paste has several rows (line breaks)

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

6 REPLIES 6
JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Have you tried using a text input?

janez_007
7 - Meteor

thanks for your reply, Joseph. Yes, I have but if the SQL code that I'm pasting has more than 1 line, it only pastes the first line...

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @janez_007 

If you have the focus on a cell in the Input tool and paste the SQL, the entire string will get copied into the field.  You just won't be able to see the entire thing in the Input tool because of the embedded new line characters.  If you look at the results window and double click on the field so that it shows up in the cell viewer, you see that the entire string is there.  

Dan

janez_007
7 - Meteor

Hi Dan, thank you for your reply. For some reason that doesn't work for me - see screenshot.

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

hi @janez_007 

Sorry about that.  

Try this.  Put your cursor in the first cell and click the paste button(in green below

input.png

this will paste the query into multiple lines.  follow up with a summarize tool using a \n as the delimiter to get 

s.png

Dan

janez_007
7 - Meteor

this works, thank you!

Labels