Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

inner join optimization or alternative

janez_007
7 - Meteor

hi Alteryx Community!

I am trying to perform what would be a WHERE statement or an INNER JOIN in SQL language and I am using the Join tool and only outputting the "J" output. However both the original data (.csv) and the list of values to filter out (.xlsx) are quite large and thus performance is really bad. Is there a better alternative to perform this operation?

Thank you!

5 REPLIES 5
afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @janez_007 ,

Since you are trying to perform a where statement I would recommend you to filter all unnecessary rows using a filter tool. Use this option only if you are sure about the rows which you are not going to use.

Reducing the amount of columns on the embbeded select tool within the join would also help the general performance. Once again, being sure about those which are not going to be used.

Cheers

janez_007
7 - Meteor

hi afv2688,

thank you for your reply. Are you just suggesting to reduce the size of the original data for faster processing or is there a way to use a filter with a list of values from a different data source?

thank you.

bharatandalam
8 - Asteroid

@janez_007 

there are two ways to do it:

1. if you have access to database then you write the excel data into a database table and use that table into the alteryx

2. other option is to use a filter after the data sources to filter out the unnecessary data you may not need for doing a join,

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Actually I was suggesting the first, but there is a way to do a filter based on a list of values from another table.

You create a macro with a simple filter tool and set the specific filter. For example:

[Column in original data] IN ("value1", "value2",.....)

The values are concatenaded with the summarize tool.

If you would like an example let me know

Cheers

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Did them in the end 🙂

Cheers

Labels