Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

importing text file to cleanse issues

tyreenugen
6 - Meteoroid

Hi, I'm trying to import a text file (please see below details and the attached file) to perform some cleansing, specifically deleting the lines beginning with EXTRACT and splitting the DETAIL lines by |. I thought this would be a breeze but it's harder than i expected. can someone advise on what i'm doing wrong? The workflow is also attached. thanks!

EXTRACT|2019-07-02|540|261902.66
DETAIL|2764|2019-07-02|1|00001083|Joe|Ty||UNITED STATES|USA|857.52
DETAIL|2764|2019-07-02|2|00001083|Joe|Ty||UNITED STATES|USA|745.01
DETAIL|2764|2019-07-02|3|00001083|Adam|Smith||UNITED STATES|USA|52.21

4 REPLIES 4
MichaelLaRose
10 - Fireball

Hi @tyreenugen,

The problem with reading the data is that Alteryx is seeing that different rows have a different number of fields and that is causing issues.

You can use the attached workflow to read in the document and create the dateset you are looking for.

Note I used a relative path so the data file just needs to be in the same folder as the workflow.

Best,

Michael

jeff_reynolds
10 - Fireball

As with anything Alteryx related, there's more than 1 way to solve the issue. I imported your data by setting up the file import config the following way.

setup.png

If you have other rows downstream that contain 'EXTRACT', you should be able to filter those right out. 

Good luck. 

smoskowitz
12 - Quasar

Hi @tyreenugen 

See if this helps,

Seth

tyreenugen
6 - Meteoroid

thanks all for the help! i appreciate it. 

Labels