Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

importing files with different columns into one file

Malek22
7 - Meteor

Hello dears, I'm trying to import multiple excel files in one file in alteryx  by choosing a directory then adding the input dynamic after that I choose a file on the input data source template , choose the read list of data source field :  FullPath and action is change file/table name 

I usually got an error because the data types and the columns are not aligned with each other with the error message below : 

11 REPLIES 11
randreag
11 - Bolide

Hi @Malek22 

Yes when you have differences in your files the method that youar using doesn't work

I attached here a macro where you have to send the fullpath of the directory. 

I hope it helps 

pedrodrfaria
13 - Pulsar

Hi @Malek22 

I have attached a package with the workflow below and the Macro that opens files with different schemas at the same time. See below for an example:

pedrodrfaria_0-1610318823353.png

In the example above I have 3 different dummy files with different schemas. I also attached them for educational purposes.

This one is for xlsx files, please let me know if you are working with different files. The process to create one is super simple.

Pedro.

Malek22
7 - Meteor

Hi @randreag 

It doesn't work with me , I have added directory file, then file path plus the sheets and the macro with my files , the issue appears with the dynamic input again  

Malek22
7 - Meteor

Hi @pedrodrfaria  , 

I have proceed with what you have done and it doesn't work with the dynamic input it showing to me the same error 

randreag
11 - Bolide

Hi @Malek22 

You have to replace the dynamic input with the macro.

You can't use it because it has problems with different schemas

pedrodrfaria
13 - Pulsar

Hi @Malek22 

You do not need to use the dynamic input. Update the workflow I sent with the correct path and the correct sheet name and it should work. You will not need to use the dynamic input at all.

Pedro.

Malek22
7 - Meteor

@randreag @pedrodrfaria  

Many thanks for your support this worked with me, but how I can add the time and date of the report creation as what I used to do in the dynamic input tool ? 

Thank you  

pedrodrfaria
13 - Pulsar

Hi @Malek22 

I believe this is what you are looking for?

pedrodrfaria_0-1610473604418.png

Pedro.

Malek22
7 - Meteor

HI @pedrodrfaria , 

Thank you for sharing this with me, 

Unfortunately, couldn't open the workflow due to the old version I'm using, so could you please let me know what you have filled in the parameters in find and replace tool ? Thanks again 

Labels