Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

if statements, startswith, AND function in one expression

krishnagandhi
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I have some data that i am trying to categorize and i am writing a formula, but it is just not working (it is all string data). Here is the formula:

if [Service Category] = "LABO" then "Labour"
Elseif [service category] = "LSUM" and StartsWith("EDIT,", [Service Short Text]) then "Edit"
else "0"
Endif

krishnagandhi_1-1586894897692.png

As you can see the very final cell should read Edit but for some reason i can't get the formula to work. Am I writing something incorrect or is this not possible to write in Alteryx.

Thanks,

Krishna

2 REPLIES 2
ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

I think your StartsWith code is wrong

StartsWith('ABC123', 'ABC') returns TRUE

StartsWith(String, Target, CaseInsensitive=1): Checks if a string starts with a particular string. Returns a TRUE or FALSE if the string matches the pattern. It is defaulted to case insensitive.

The Alteryx documentation use of "target" is confusing.

Here's a list of all functions:

https://help.alteryx.com/current/Reference/Functions.htm

krishnagandhi
8 - Asteroid

Thanks that guide was really helpful, i amended the formula to use a Left statement and it works now!

if [Service Category] = "LABO" then "Labour"
Elseif [service category] = "LSUM" and Left([Service Short Text], 4) ="EDIT" then "Edit"
else "0"
endif

Labels