Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

how to take a month and year column and combine them into a single date column

abajwa
5 - Atom

Hi

Sorry this must be a simple question but I am new to Alteryx hence asking it. I have a date set which has two column one for month and another for year. I need to combine them into one column as a date so for example 3-2015 or 3/2015 for the first entry in the example below. I need them to be a date so that when I run through I can arrange date in order of first to last date.

I have used this formula [MonthofYear]+"/"+[Year] to create a new column as a string. However I can't arrange the rest of the date from nearest time period to the last period as it is a string so when I run through all the other steps the data comes out as I need it but arranged in the wrong order.

If you could help that would be great.

MonthYear
7 REPLIES 7
DataBlender
11 - Bolide

Hi @abajwa

Unfortunately it is not possible to have a date type field with the format of M-YYYY as it will tell you that this is not a valid date format (requires the day as well).

Therefore I'd suggest concatenating the strings as you have done but with the year first; this should allow you to sort them correctly.

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

You could do as DataBlender has suggested.

Alternatively you could develop your string further by adding '01/' in front.

So '01/'+[MonthofYear]+"/"+[Year]

You can now convert your string into a date format and then any sorting will work as needed.

Ben

KaneG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

As has been shown above, there are multiple ways to deal with this.

Here is another. Create a new Date Field with the following formula:

ToString([Year]) + '-' + PadLeft(ToString(Month),2,'0') + '-01'

If you are using v11, then the following should work on your concatenated field (3/2015)

DateTimeParse([MonthDate],'%m/%y')

If not on v11, then you may need to PadLeft before creating your concatenated field (03/2015)

marc_j
5 - Atom

Hm, this didn't work for me. I had [Year]+"/"+[Month Number] (both fields formatted as text strings and get the error "Formatted Date: "2017/8" is not a valid Date

KaneG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Hi,

Which of the above solutions are you trying to implement? If you want it to be a date type, then your string will need to have the format yyyy-mm-dd
david_fetters
11 - Bolide

You may want to add a PadLeft function to the month so you can be sure you're sorting correctly.  2018-06 will sort correctly but 2018-6 will not.

marc_j
5 - Atom

Thank you for everyone's suggestions. What ultimately worked for me is a
formula that created a concatenated Date column, i.e. [Month Number] +
"-1-" + [Year] and then a Convert Date from tool (from the format
MM/dd/yyyy)

Later I found out that you don't even need the day, you can just
concatenate the date to be [Month],[Year] and Convert Date from Month, yyyy
format

Learning!!

--
*Marc A. Janke*