Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

how to read multiple text files from a directory?

I have a a set of text files in a directory and I would like to read everything at once instead of using mutliple input tool.
6 REPLIES 6
MattH
Alteryx
Alteryx
Hi Arun, you have a few options available to you.  With a wildcard, you can read in multiple files using the Input tool.  For example, C:<file-path>*.txt.  You can also do the same with the Directory tool and the Dynamic Input tool.  In both cases, you will need to make sure that all files have the same schema, or they will not be read in correctly.

If the schema is going to be different, then your best option may be to create a Batch Macro to input all of the files.  In the Batch Macro tab, set the Output Mode to Auto Configure by Name.  This will line up all fields with corresponding names and append the input with the extra fields.
Thanks, it worked.
EYamada
7 - Meteor

Can I use a wildcard if mutliple .xls files all have the same scheme, but have multiple sheets?

TylerN
7 - Meteor

Hey EYamada. Take a look at this solution as I believe it will work for you. I've used a slight variation successfully myself.

EYamada
7 - Meteor

Thank you TylerN.  A directory tool followed by two Dyanmic Inputs worked perfectly. 

TylerN
7 - Meteor

Awesome, I'm glad it worked for you EYamada.

Labels