Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

how to parse the same information from the same line

Anitta
6 - Meteoroid

Hi community

this might be a simple question:

if a line contains the same patterns more times than one, how can i parse all incidents to multiple rows.

If the pattern is (\d.{0,4}.?[Kk][Gg]) it will find and parse 15,5 kg one time - but becuase i work in unstructured data lines lookes different per eg.: record 34: live_weight 2500kg, loin 2,8 Kg, rear 18kg, vegi_25lbs etc.

I would like to make sure that all entities containing [kg]is parsed out into separate collumns in the same process so :  

RECORD 34: "live_weight 2500kg, loin 2,8 Kg, rear 18kg, vegi_25lbs etc".becomes --> col1:  2500kg; col2: 2,8 Kg; col3: 18kg and in addition  i would also like to get a consolidated count : parsed = 3 out of 4

2) i have found that specification of several of variants of the same product into same line. Eg.: in this eg. in fact there is 4 different motors:

RECORD: MOTOR 2500RPM, 2,8KW, 18NM, 7,5A,346V 1750RPM, 3,3KW, 18NM, 7,5A,398V 2000RPM, 3,7KW, 18NM, 7,6A,447V  - HOW can i make a split regex based on recognition of same string-pattern -> so i get  :

MOTOR 2500RPM, 2,8KW, 18NM, 7,5A,346V

MOTOR 1750RPM, 3,3KW, 18NM, 7,5A,398V

MOTOR 2000RPM, 3,7KW, 18NM, 7,6A,447V

BECAUSE I LOOK THROUGH a lot of lines solving this will be a tremendous help.

br anitta

6 REPLIES 6
JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

Hi @Anitta,

Not sure but I'm guessing you're using the formula tool and parsing using the functions there? Consider using the Parse RegEx tool, (https://help.alteryx.com/10.5/RegEx.htm) which accept a RegEx, and has the option to split results to rows.

Joe_Mako
12 - Quasar

I attempted to parse and attached is what I came up with as a first draft. If it does not work for other data records, please add some sample data and the workflow can be adjusted. Please let me know, thanks!

Anitta
6 - Meteoroid

hi John 

you are right i do use the parsing tool and i am stumbeling into issues using regex. Because the lines are containing the same info that i want to parse - using the tool is limiting me in making sure that i have all data for the same pattern because it only retrieves the left-one.

I upload a sample of the data here - lines contains data for actually three different items and using the parsingtool only tells me about one of them.

br anitta 

Anitta
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Joe

I am amazed. Thank you for your solutions. I am jsut now trying your solution on big sample data in order to scrutinize in order find out if i can connect your solutions in the same workflow or if i have to do it in separate steps. But your solutions actually do seem to perform:-) 

Since the data is very unstructured i am not all together sure how data behaves accross databases - but this is one of the biggest issues so far. 

Thanks anitta

Anitta
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Joe

I am amazed. Thank you for your solutions. I am jsut now trying your solution on big sample data in order to scrutinize in order find out if i can connect your solutions in the same workflow or if i have to do it in separate steps. But your solutions actually do seem to perform:-) 

Since the data is very unstructured i am not all together sure how data behaves accross databases - but this is one of the biggest issues so far. 

Thanks anitta

Anitta
6 - Meteoroid

Hi

I have been working on your suggested solution because i need two more steps in order to analyse data.

1) need to shuffle all pattern-items to colums and

2) need to have values for each header-text concatenated(if available then value if not then null)

Bascially i would like to have for each unique row to have pattern shuffled to columns and for each pattern to have the value attached in a second row. In this process i need to scrutnize the relation between "matching patterns" if they are the same or not (partly manually), but ultimately i would like to have the columns for matching pattens concatenated and the values (null/actual value ) listed underneath in separate row.From where i am now i cannot use the cross tab tool because i have only name-txt and no values, so i was thinking to parse out the values in a separate step and afterwards concatenate based on record id.

Udklip.PNG

But do you see another way around this? I have attached the additional step so far in work flow.

br anitta

Labels