Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

how to make multiple excel tab headings bold and email file in alteryx

Zenani
8 - Asteroid

hello all

There is an existing workflow that i run weekly , i would like to edit the output excel files so that the headings are always bold and rows/columns are spaced out and then email the results straight to the users. is there a way i can do this in alteryx ? currently i run the workflow , edit the excel file to make it bold n fix the column widths and then attach it to an email that's sent to our users

Thank you

5 REPLIES 5
MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

@Zenani 

Absolutely. You can leverage the Reporting tools to style your excel output - see the Table tool. You can embed the output of it directly within an email using the Email tool and use the output as the body of the email.

table-tool.png

table-body.png

Alternatively, you can use the Render tool to save the output somewhere locally and point the Email tool to the file via the Attachment configuration option.

render-outpath.png

saved-attachment.png

Zenani
8 - Asteroid

Hi 

thank you!

what if i have multiple output files that i write to one excel file with different tabs ? 

MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

In that case the approach described here should give you what you're after.

Zenani
8 - Asteroid

Hi 

i meant what if i want to write multiple files as tabs into one excel file and then edit the headings to bold and space the columns instead of having to edit them manually after the workflow has run

MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

The solution above addresses the former - each of your files will be a separate input and table.

As for the formatting

• Headers can be formatted via Default table settings within the Table tool

bold-headers.png

• Column spacing is a combination of 
    • Table and Column width setting in the table tool AND
    • Paper size within the Render tool; think of this as printing settings - your paper needs to be big enough to fit all the columns in it's full width. If it's not, they are going to be collapsed

tablewidth.pngpapersize.png

Labels