community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
Upgrade Alteryx Designer in 10 Steps

Debating whether or not to upgrade to the latest version of Alteryx Designer?

LEARN MORE

how to install Publish to tableau server tool in my Alteryx

Asteroid

Hi ,

I am looking to publish data source from Alteryx to Tableau Server. I downloaded the Publish to tableau server tool from alteryx gallery but I don't know how to install that in my alteryx designer. can someone please help me with that ?

Thanks,

Barathkumar

Alteryx Certified Partner
Alteryx Certified Partner

Hi Barathkumar,

Just open the file and it will ask you to "import workflow package". Say yes and you will see the following:

Skærmbillede 2016-08-11 kl. 08.03.58.png

Best regards,

Daniel

I also encountered with the same issue. I have opened the file and was able to see the screen shown by Daniel. but still I don't see the "Publish to Tableau Server" tool when I search in tool bar of Alteryx Designer.

Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @heenasahu,

You said that you can see the screen shown above. Did you then follow the instructions and run the app to install? If you have run the app and selected the 'Install' radio button then hit Finish and you still can't see the tool after restarting Alteryx, then reach out to support@alteryx.com

Kane

Atom

Hi, I also ran into the same problem.

Running version 11.5.1.31573

When I open the installation file I get the prompt below. I've just clicked "OK".

When running the workflow from the designer it works fine. When I send it to the scheduler I get the following error: 

" Publish to Tableau Server (11) Cannot find macro "PublishToTableauServer\Publish to Tableau Server.yxmc"."

alteryx problem.pngThe prompt I get when double clicking the installation file

Alteryx
Alteryx

Please see this reference from help.  

https://help.alteryx.com/server/current/admin/index.htm#Installation/InstallToolPackages.htm

Install Tool Packages

Alteryx provides several options for creating custom tools. One method for deploying a custom tool involves packaging the tool and all of its dependencies into a single .yxi file.

When a tool that is packaged as a .yxi file is installed, the tool is added to the tool palette in Designer and the .yxi file and supporting macros are installed in the AppData\Roaming folder in the user’s account. For example: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Alteryx\Tools\<tool name>.

A .yxi file must be manually installed before a workflow that includes that tool can be run. In order for a tool package to be available to Gallery and workflow scheduling processes on a machine, a Gallery Administrator must copy the contents of the .yxi file to the C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\Tools directory on the server. In a multi-node configuration, the .yxi file must be added to every worker machine in your server deployment.

To install a tool package:

1. Double-click the .yxi file and select OK in the Tool Installer window.
  2. Locate the user's Tools directory: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Alteryx\Tools.
  3. Copy the folder of the tool to be installed on the server.
  4. Paste the folder in the following directory: C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\Tools.

Alteryx loads tools in the Designer from these locations in the following order:

• C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Alteryx\Tools
  • C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\Tools
Customer Support Engineer
Asteroid

If I don't have a Tools folder under ProgramData/Alteryx/

Do I just create one?

Alteryx Partner

This thread is over a year old and the macro would have changed a lot since then.  Can you start a new thread and explain what your problem/question is please ? 

Meteor

Hi @joejoe317  we just got this working on my company server. Server directory where you need to copy the macro folders is C:\ProgramData\Alteryx\DataProducts\AddOnData\Macros\

Labels