Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

how to import data from one file to blank output file under defined column header

Rajeev18
8 - Asteroid

Hello All ,

I need help in importing some of the data from one file to another file which will have set header column.

Input file - This Input file will have improper header naming convention.

eeproduct nameproductzz locationemplueenamewwwytrConractghNumber
aCaliforniarty12345
bARIZONAfgh45678
cSan Josejkl987
dSan Franciscoyui2366
New Yorkqwe2316
fNew Jerseyasd453
gGeorgiazxc5678

Output file Template - In this template data from Input file should be imported as per correct header wise.

Contact Number Product LocationEmployee Name

Please advise

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Rajeev

8 REPLIES 8
JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Rajeev18 if you wanting to paste data into a template then you can either you the Command tool to copy the template to the output network location. You will need the output tool within designer to point to the output network location where the template is being copied to.

Another way is to use blob tools to copy the template as well which I've written a blog  about. 

Rajeev18
8 - Asteroid

Hello @

Thank you for the prompt reply. However while using the said method it did not work. Could you please revisit my example and advise. 

Please note that in input file there are many column which is not suppose to get imported and in output file too there are many column which is not suppose to be imported with the input file. 

Also the column header in Input file and Output file are not in same sequence .

Regards,
Rajeev

Htaneja2
7 - Meteor

Hi Rajeev,

please find the solution,

you can use a select tool and get the task done,

select the columns required and Also you can rename them, reposition them as per the sequence you want by the arrow keys (pic attached)

if you find the solution to be the correct and accurate one please mark it as "solution"

Rajeev18
8 - Asteroid

Hello @Htaneja2 

Thank you for taking time and reviewing my queries. Just to clarify my queries I need data in output file where few data will be there from input file and some will be blank column. However with select tool i can get column which i want and i can arrange as well but blank column will not be incorporated  in the output file and nor the sequence.

Please revisit my example and help.

Regards,

Rajeev 

Htaneja2
7 - Meteor

Hi Rajeev,

apologies but I quite didn't get your question,

as per my understanding for your question,

if you export the file from Alteryx you get to have an excel file which would have the required columns and also will have a lot of blank columns for you to add further data,

Rajeev18
8 - Asteroid

Hello @Htaneja2 

Actually I have a ready made Template with proper Heading and formatting. The Input file which I have is raw data i.e. combination of required data and unwanted data with Improper Heading name. Improper Heading Means Column heading input data is not Identical in output data and not in the same sequence .

Hence I want ,from Input Data (raw where column heading is Improper ) Blank output data to be filled with required data.

Input data and output data example you can refer by above post.

Hope i am able to clear your doubts.

Htaneja2
7 - Meteor

hi Rajeev,

kindly download the solution canvas,

replace the input file with the file you wanna work with, also edit the select tool accordingly,

you'll find your answer in the canvas

Rajeev18
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Htaneja2 

Sorry am not able to find any solution canvas attached. Could you please share it again. 

Thanks,

Labels