Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

how to calculate average that is dynamic

nmitch
7 - Meteor

hi, newbie here!

I have data, see attached, where I'd like to be able to create a formula that calculates the average BUT updates if I change the timeframe. For example, the entirety of the dataset may have an average of 315 but within 1 week there were on average 13.

R

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

3 REPLIES 3
BA02
7 - Meteor

Hey, 

For calculation of the average, you can use the summarize tool. Make sure that the data type is set to be a Numeric type. 

As for the date range, you can either change it in your filter if you can edit the workflow on a daily basis or a better approach, use the date/time tool from the interface tool palette. This will give you the flexibility to simply choose the date while running the workflow as an app.

Hope this helps! 🙂

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @nmitch 

What exactly are you trying to average?  The sample file you attached only has 2 columns in it.

danilang_0-1631973233466.png

Dan

nmitch
7 - Meteor

HI! I excluded some additional fields as I wasn't sure if they would be helpful.

To answer your question: I want to be able to dynamically find the average amount of weekly primary reference IDs within a timeframe. For example, I'd like to know how many shipments on average were with Business A during the month of August. I hope that helps

Labels