Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

how roll-up 2 workflows that I would like to roll-up into 1 workflow.

igonzalez
6 - Meteoroid

Hello,

I created 2 workflows that I would like to roll-up into 1 workflow.

The first workflow pull database from a (table) DB2 database and imports into a SQL server database table where a stored procedure is run on the that table which in turn creates a new table (let's call table2 just for the example)

The second workflow uses table2 as an input and create an tableau output (tde file).

Currently I have to run workflow 1 and then workflow 2 manually.

I want to have 1 workflow that will use the DB2 table as an input to the the SQL output which applies a sproc on the table wich creates table2 that will then be used as an input to the tableau output (tde file).

I can do this in SSIS fairly easily but unfortunately my current employer doesn't have SSIS.

I have attached a screen shot of both packages.

Please advise

Best Regards

Ivan

7 REPLIES 7
Joe_Lipski
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @igonzalez A block until done tool should help you out here.

The Block Until Done tool stops downstream processing until the very last record  has arrived.

Here's a nice blog suggesting other alternatives: http://blog.concentra.co.uk/2015/03/23/alteryx-control-flow-controlling-order-execution/

Joe Lipski
igonzalez
6 - Meteoroid

Let me give it a try

Thanks

igonzalez
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Joe,

I connected the Dynamic Input as explained in the link you forwrded and I'm getting "Field names must not be blank"

But I connected to the new table.  I have attached a screen shot.

FYI, the Output file from step 1 outputs to table1 but the sproc within the output tool populates table2 which is what I want to use as the source of the dynamic file tool.

Please assist.

Thank you

Ivan

tom_montpool
12 - Quasar

If you're happy with how your two separate workflows are working, the other option is to leave them separate and use an Event or the Run Command tool in the first workflow to run the second workflow using AlteryxEngineCmd.

If I recall correctly, this situation is also what the "Runner" tools created by @AdamR_AYX are for.

Play safe

michael_treadwell
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Gonzalez,

The Dynamic Input Tool is definitely what you want to use here but realize we are kind of using it to trick Alteryx.

Do this, take the workflow that you have already created and between the Block Until Done and the Dynamic Input insert a Formula Tool

With the Formula Tool, create a field called Dummy with type String

In the expression box simply type ''

Just two single quotes

Now, in your Dynamic Input Tool make sure 'Read a list of Data Sources is selected' and choose 'Field:' as Dummy and 'Action:' as 'Append Suffix to File/Table Name'

Then see if your module works

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

igonzalez
6 - Meteoroid

Tahnk you I'll give it a try

igonzalez
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you!

This worked like a charm.

Labels