Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

help with joining records

prravich
7 - Meteor

Hi all,

I am new to alteryx and I have two data tables shown below, vendor and sales.

datevendorexpense
1/1/2001A10
1/1/2001B10
2/1/2001A20

datesales
1/1/2001100
2/1/2001150

I need the following output .Can someone please guide me which tools I need to use to get the desired result?

datevendorsalesexpense
1/1/2001a10010
1/1/2001b10010
2/1/2001a15020
2/1/2001b1500
5 REPLIES 5
JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

Hi @prravich,

The attached should accomplish this. This uses the Unique tool and AppendFields to ensure that all vendors are present for all dates. From their the Multi-Join tool does a great job of joining in such a fashion that it provides exactly the output your going for; the final formula tool just turns null fields in from the join to zero counts.

Capture.PNG

Hope that helps.

michael_treadwell
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

So at first glance this would just be the job of a simple join.

Join table A to table B to get you output table.

However, the complication arises when you need to generate missing data for vendor B on 2/1/2001. I've used summarise and append to do the job. I've attached a workflow showing both the simple and more complex example.

prravich
7 - Meteor

Thank you so much. This works great

prravich
7 - Meteor

Thank you Michael, this works as well

DultonM
11 - Bolide

@michael_treadwell and @JohnJPS....you guys are just too quick.

I've attached a workflow that is much like Michael's but has a slight reordering of the tools and a description of why each tool is there. I also converted your date field into the Alteryx date format with the DateTime tool so that you could down downstream date calculations.

Labels